First, I must say this week was a tough one for me. I had to read and reread, and sometimes I still felt like I didn't fully understand the learning theories and epistemologies. I definitely had to do some extra research to complete my blog post this week. The textbook was not enough! I hope that I understood everything correctly. If not then after I read your blog posts, I'm sure it will help me clear up any misconceptions that I have...that is the good thing!
In my opinion, the difference between theories, methods, or models of learning and epistemologies is that epistemologies are “knowledge that” and and theories, models and methods are mainly “knowledge how”. This means that epistemologies deal with what knowledge you “know” and how it relates to truth, belief, and justification. Whereas theories, models, and methods deal with the learning process and how you got to know the knowledge that you know (The Basics of Philosophy). After further researching epistemologies, I feel that one’s personal epistemology is influenced by your experiences from birth through your lifetime. How you interpret content will depend on how you feel about the information and your personal point of view (Education Theory). Everyone has lived through different events in their lives and this impacts your point of view on everything.
My epistemic stance is primarily relativist. The relativist stance states that there are no absolutes and knowing something is relative. Knowledge will take on many forms and the way of knowing something will depend on one’s culture and perspective (Bourgeois). I feel this is true, and every learner has something different to share and a different perspective because we are all unique and come from different backgrounds. It could be because you are from a different culture so you have been exposed to different types of clothing, traditions, food, or language. Or it could be that you live in a different area such as in a big city or a small town. All of these experiences form your opinions and how you view different aspects of life. I feel that it is important that we value and embrace that we all are different, and we can all learn from one another.
I can remember a couple of times where my stance as a learner conflicted with my instructor. Sometimes it had to do with a math course. I had a couple of instructors who wanted the math problems to be worked a certain way. If you did not solve the problem the certain way they taught you or wanted you to then it was counted wrong. I always felt like this was ridiculous because I could solve it a different way and get the same answer, but the way that I solved it made more sense to me then the way I was shown in class. Other times were in English class. When a question was asked about why a character felt the way they did or how could something be changed. If the answer did not match the thinking of the instructor, you were scored low. Again, this has everything to do with one’s perspective and life experiences. The response will directly have to do with what you have encountered in your life. It is rare that your experiences will be the same as an instructor.
After reading about epistemic stances, I do feel they could have been at the center of why there was a disconnect between me and my instructors. It seems to me that they may have all had the positivist stance.The differences in problem-solving from a behaviorist and a constructivist perspective are that a constructivist perspective will have more project-based learning happening to solve real-world problems. There will be team collaboration, higher-order thinking, and the learning will be authentic. The students are doing most of the work from a constructivist perspective. From a behaviorist perspective, there is a lot of observation going on by the teacher. The teacher is also constantly giving feedback to guide students in the right direction. The problem-solving will be done with a lot of guidance by the teacher, and the students will most likely not engage in higher-order thinking (Reiser and Dempsey, 2012).
They differ in the nature of the problem being solved because from a constructivist perspective it will be a real-world problem that requires team collaboration. It will also have a project attached to it to help facilitate the learning and solving of the problem. From a behaviorist perspective, it may just be a broad question where the teacher is constantly facilitating and prompting students by giving feedback based on observations. It also may not be a team effort.
The effect on learner motivation could be that from a behaviorist perspective the problem-solving or lesson could seem boring and predictable to students. They may have a little motivation just because they want to get a good grade and please the instructor, but that may be all. From a constructivist perspective, students could be really motivated to solve the problem especially if it relates to them personally. The team aspect of solving the problem also makes it exciting and enjoyable. Students will also be motivated to perform well so that they will make a good grade.
References:
Education Theory. Retrieved from http://www.ucdoer.ie/index.php/Education_Theory/Epistemology_and_Learning_Theories The Basics of Philosophy.
Retrieved from http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_epistemology.html Bourgeois, Nichole. An
Epistemology of Leadership Perspective. ERIC
Digest. Retrieved from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ974360.pdfReiser, R.A. and Dempsey, J.V. (2012). Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and
Technology. Boston: Pearson.
In my opinion, the difference between theories, methods, or models of learning and epistemologies is that epistemologies are “knowledge that” and and theories, models and methods are mainly “knowledge how”. This means that epistemologies deal with what knowledge you “know” and how it relates to truth, belief, and justification. Whereas theories, models, and methods deal with the learning process and how you got to know the knowledge that you know (The Basics of Philosophy). After further researching epistemologies, I feel that one’s personal epistemology is influenced by your experiences from birth through your lifetime. How you interpret content will depend on how you feel about the information and your personal point of view (Education Theory). Everyone has lived through different events in their lives and this impacts your point of view on everything.
My epistemic stance is primarily relativist. The relativist stance states that there are no absolutes and knowing something is relative. Knowledge will take on many forms and the way of knowing something will depend on one’s culture and perspective (Bourgeois). I feel this is true, and every learner has something different to share and a different perspective because we are all unique and come from different backgrounds. It could be because you are from a different culture so you have been exposed to different types of clothing, traditions, food, or language. Or it could be that you live in a different area such as in a big city or a small town. All of these experiences form your opinions and how you view different aspects of life. I feel that it is important that we value and embrace that we all are different, and we can all learn from one another.
I can remember a couple of times where my stance as a learner conflicted with my instructor. Sometimes it had to do with a math course. I had a couple of instructors who wanted the math problems to be worked a certain way. If you did not solve the problem the certain way they taught you or wanted you to then it was counted wrong. I always felt like this was ridiculous because I could solve it a different way and get the same answer, but the way that I solved it made more sense to me then the way I was shown in class. Other times were in English class. When a question was asked about why a character felt the way they did or how could something be changed. If the answer did not match the thinking of the instructor, you were scored low. Again, this has everything to do with one’s perspective and life experiences. The response will directly have to do with what you have encountered in your life. It is rare that your experiences will be the same as an instructor.
After reading about epistemic stances, I do feel they could have been at the center of why there was a disconnect between me and my instructors. It seems to me that they may have all had the positivist stance.The differences in problem-solving from a behaviorist and a constructivist perspective are that a constructivist perspective will have more project-based learning happening to solve real-world problems. There will be team collaboration, higher-order thinking, and the learning will be authentic. The students are doing most of the work from a constructivist perspective. From a behaviorist perspective, there is a lot of observation going on by the teacher. The teacher is also constantly giving feedback to guide students in the right direction. The problem-solving will be done with a lot of guidance by the teacher, and the students will most likely not engage in higher-order thinking (Reiser and Dempsey, 2012).
They differ in the nature of the problem being solved because from a constructivist perspective it will be a real-world problem that requires team collaboration. It will also have a project attached to it to help facilitate the learning and solving of the problem. From a behaviorist perspective, it may just be a broad question where the teacher is constantly facilitating and prompting students by giving feedback based on observations. It also may not be a team effort.
The effect on learner motivation could be that from a behaviorist perspective the problem-solving or lesson could seem boring and predictable to students. They may have a little motivation just because they want to get a good grade and please the instructor, but that may be all. From a constructivist perspective, students could be really motivated to solve the problem especially if it relates to them personally. The team aspect of solving the problem also makes it exciting and enjoyable. Students will also be motivated to perform well so that they will make a good grade.
References:
Education Theory. Retrieved from http://www.ucdoer.ie/index.php/Education_Theory/Epistemology_and_Learning_Theories
I found your blog very easy to follow. I almost jumped for joy when I read that you were struggling with this week's assignment, comprehension wise. For a moment, I felt like I was in a sinking ship all alone. I am happy to report that your struggle and additional research paid off. In my reading of your blog it appears that you understood the assignment and rose to the challenge of answering all of the questions well. I can also relate to the point that you made about the math answers. I always allow my students the freedom to use the strategy that works best for them when solving a problem because I too have had a correct answer counted wrong simple because of the way I solved it. I did not like that feeling nor do I want to cause a budding mind to feel like there is one way and one way only to solve a problem.
ReplyDeleteCynthia,
DeleteThank you for your comments.
Yeah!!! I'm not in the boat alone. I truly felt confused this week. I had the hardest time wrapping my mind around the readings. I read and reread and unfortunately did not have the time to read again because of my other classes. It is interesting that you mentioned math class, that is where I struggled most in school. I have always tried to remember how I felt in math class and not do to my students what was done to me. If they are able to solve the problem using a different strategy and can explain the strategy to me I take it. There is always more than one way to look at and solve a problem.
ReplyDeleteDeneice,
DeleteI absolutely agree. I think this is becoming more widely accepted. At least I have found it to be true at the elementary level.
I am so glad that I am not the only one that felt confused this week! I totally agree with you regarding the motivation of students. Behaviorism reminds me of training an animal. Constructivism lends itself more to a 21st century learner because the problem solving presented to learners is authentic.
ReplyDeleteYou aren't alone with your feelings for this weeks reading. It was definitely a tough one. And as I was reading through your blog and others, it definitely helped clarify any confusion I had. I believe that you are the first one that hasn't said you relate to constructivist theory. I believe that we all fall under more than one theory at different points of our careers and even lessons. I don't believe that one is better than the other, we just have to do what's best for us and our classrooms/students.
ReplyDeleteJuanita,
DeleteI think you made a great point in that we all fall different theories in different points of our careers and lessons. Thanks for sharing!
“From a constructivist perspective, the team aspect of solving the problem makes it exciting and enjoyable.”
ReplyDeleteThere is much to be said for the constructivist approach to instructional design, it involves the student in their education rather than being “taught at” or simply being slowly lectured to death, they have a vested interest in their coursework; it’s meaningful, challenging, and hopefully memorable. But, the “team aspect” you mentioned in this week’s blog is possibly the most important aspect of all. Children must learn in a social environment while becoming comfortable with the idea of interacting in a group setting effectively if they are going to become well-adjusted, contributing members of our democratic society. When these students enter the work-force it will not be in a vacuum, devoid of human contact. By being exposed to a constructivist, student-centered means of instruction during their formative years, with plenty of experience working on solving “real-world problems,” they will hopefully be able to tackle the problems which they are tasked with an air of confidence knowing that they were adequately prepared for these challenges in school. . I enjoyed reading over your blog post on Theories & Models of Learning & Instruction; it was well written, thoughtful, and informative. Good Job!
Thank you for your feedback! I agree the "team" aspect is critical.
DeleteDesirae, isn't it so fun to look at your students growth? We spend so much time with our students that it's sometimes hard to actually SEE the growth happening. Sometimes it feels like I'm in the classroom working so hard and no one is moving with me, but then you get to look at data and of course students are growing! It's always an encouragement for me to keep doing what I'm doing and that students are learning!
ReplyDelete