Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Week One Reflections: Defining the IDT Field

Hello everyone! Since this is my first time actually blogging, I hope all goes well. I have read blogs before, and they seem to be easy going and informal. So here it goes!

After reading the first 3 chapters, I learned a lot of information. I had no idea there were so many different definitions for Instructional Technology! After reflecting on my reading, I realize that it is a really broad field and that is why I think there has been so much discussion on one definition. 

How do the definitions in the first chapter compare to your own definition of instructional or educational technology? What experiences or other influences have shaped your definition? How has your definition changed from examining the definitions in the first chapter of this book?

My definition of instructional/educational technology is different from the definitions in the first chapter because I always thought that it was the media, apps, or software used in the learning process. My original definition is close to the first definition from the early 1900's where instructional technology was the physical way that instruction is presented which was mainly dealing with media (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). 

My own educational experiences have helped shaped my definition of instructional technology. When technology really started to grow there was a big push for it in schools, and I can remember my teachers trying to get familiar with the technology and as students we were also trying to learn how to use it. It was always how to present information using technology. Since I have become a teacher that has also shaped my definition about instructional technology. The big thing I have been told from the beginning is use technology as much as possible. I felt a little uncomfortable with that because I'm not very tech savvy, but I did have to learn quickly how to use it in my classroom with my students. At first I found myself just using technology to use it, and sometimes there wasn't a clear purpose for it. I didn't like that feeling because the learning was not as deep as I know it could have been for my students. After reading on the different definitions and reflecting on how I viewed technology, I have to agree that my definition has changed. Instructional technology is a complex field that has many components. You could go crazy trying to come up with a short and sweet way to sum it up. For me the overall definition for instructional technology does fit with the book's definition which is 

"The field of instructional design and technology encompasses analysis of learning and performance problems, and the design, development, implementation, evaluation and management of instructional and non-instructional processes and resources intended to improve learning and performance in a variety of settings, particularly educational institutions and the workplace" (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012, p. 5).

I think the book's definition is a great one because it includes a lot of the 21st century skills that students need in today's world. I think it is really important to recognize that our world is constantly changing and so is the instructional technology field. 


Next, think of a lesson or unit of instruction that you have developed. How does your lesson adhere or fail to adhere to the six characteristics of instructional design? How would you redesign it to better adhere to the six characteristics?

A lesson definitely comes to mind after reading this question. I was teaching my first graders a unit on the four seasons. My students had completed various lessons, and I decided to wrap up the unit with a project so students could demonstrate what they learned about seasons. My students were going to create a diorama of their favorite season. Inside their diorama they were going to find a way to display themselves dressed in that particular season and performing an activity that was appropriate for that season. They were also to include the weather for that season in their diorama. My students thoroughly enjoyed this project, and I felt that it had many of the 6 characteristics of instructional design from the book. It was definitely student centered and goal oriented. It was focused on meaningful performance and I could assess their project using a rubric. The project was also self-correcting because the students had a partner they could go to for assistance if they felt they needed it. The only part that was really missing was the team effort. I had students do this independently. I think about it now and realize that working in a team would have really made this a stronger project for students. The skills they use when working in teams collaborating and problem-solving is huge. 

In the 3rd chapter, Reiser distinguishes instructional media from instructional design, excluding teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of instructional media. Why? Would you consider teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks instructional media? Is the purpose of instructional design to incorporate media into instruction?

 Reiser excluded teachers chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of instructional media because he said that in most discussions the 3 have been considered separate from media so he had to separate them to explain the history (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012, p. 17). I do consider teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks instructional media because it is the physical way instruction is presented. I think that each of those is an important physical way to present instruction. I do not think the purpose of instructional design is to incorporate media into instruction. I think that since the 1990s technology has proven to be a big aspect in learning and it is being used often in instructional design. In my opinion, media doesn't have to be present, but I think that it will be hard to find instruction without it in today's world. 

8 comments:

  1. Desirae, I enjoyed reading your post. Your ideas and opinions were written so that the reader could clearly understand your point of view. Great job on your FIRST blog post ever! I love that blogging is so informal, even though we are tackling formal issues and information! I too found my definition more in line with the EARLY definitions from the book. I think that technology, media, and instructional design is an area that lacks a lot of training for teachers. Sure, we are trained on how to use new technologies in the classroom, but are we every trained on how to successfully design instruction around them? No. Not in my experience. I think these types of training would definitely change our definitions of instructional technology. Your lesson sounds like so much fun for your firsties. I am sure that they would love the added group component. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desirae,

    I fully understand your apprehension as it relates to technology and technological devices. Just image being a young teacher and these things began to happen and you were expected to pick up on it and begin your own personal “techno journey.” It was the buzz, starting with the smart calculators and moving into individual pagers, and final computers in the schools. Man, I remember that the only place I saw a computer is when I visited Open House on the Air Force Base and those filled a whole room. Then they got them to be personal size, where every office and home could own one. I watched and was a part of all of this. Oh don’t mention mobile phones. Can you believe at one time creditors did not want to deal with you if all you had was a mobile phone number? It was a sign of instability, ha, ha, ha. Now that’s the one number they do want.

    But that was my history, depending on your age yours will be even more dramatic! Just in the last ten years there have been so many changes even a person like myself who was trying to keep up started to fall behind. Classes like these have helped me to re-inforce my technological skills and made me hungry for more. That’s what we want to do for our children. Make them hungry to learn and use more. They should never have to feel left behind or that their skills or not up to par. How about this one, I’ve seen high school teens with smart phones and they have no idea all the many tools that are available for their use on those phones. They limit their use to only games and texting. As educators we should be showing them all the wonderful unique things that are right at their fingertips. That’s why I love the new idea of BYOT or D (Bring Your Own Technology or Device) that is being adopted by school districts across the nation.

    We have got to keep up and be ready. We are the educators. Your job will not get easier, but more intense and the new devices, ideas, and techniques are being given birth by the seconds. Web 3.0 is right around the corner. Many of us are still trying to figure out exactly what Web 2.0 is all about. Chalkboards limit teaching, they can’t go out in the field, iPads can. Have you visited a hospital lately? They have these “techs following the doctor around record everything he discusses with the patient and forwarding prescription request on the spot. Our children have to be ready to get these jobs and in school is where they need to gain that knowledge and skills. How, if not with a technological savvy teacher (Glenn, 2017) .

    References
    Glenn, B. (2017, June 09). MedCityNews- Five ways hospitals are using the iPad. Retrieved from Med City News: http://medcitynews.com/2011/11/5-ways-hospitals-are-using-the-ipad/

    http://www.cultofmac.com/64565/how-hospitals-are-using-the-ipad/

    https://www.fastcompany.com/3068773/ipads-in-every-hospital-apples-plan-to-crack-the-3-trillion-health-care-se

    http://www.cio.com/article/2369341/healthcare/78144-12-Ways-the-iPad-Is-Changing-Healthcare.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall, great job writing your first blog. You were able to clearly demonstrate your understanding of the IDT field. I agree with you that the field of IDT will continue to grow and evolve over time. However, I found it interesting that some frustrations that teachers experienced with technology back in the 60s are the same feelings that some educators have today. It is great that you were able to recognize using technology that did not have a clear purpose and grow from that experience. I believe we all have fallen under the misconception that technology has to be used all the time and it is unfortunate that idea is not diminished by administrators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      Thank you for your comments. Yes, I agree that some teachers are still frustrated with technology. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with it because it is constantly changing.

      Delete
  4. As I read through your post, I felt that some of your feelings were very similar to mine. When the technology push first began for me, I felt that I was being pushed to use technology.....just because. Although I am tech savvy in the sense that I can normally figure something out after playing with it for a bit, I felt a bit overwhelmed. I also initially equated IDT with instructional media instead of a process that included instructional design.

    I love the purple on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashanti,

      Thank you for your feedback. Can you tell I love purple? :-)

      Delete
  5. I am also new to blogging, I love your purple! I love your project over seasons. It reminds me of paper dolls for some reason. What materials were the children allowed to used? I was also wondering if you taught the lessons whole group and their final project was created based on those lessons or were the students doing research on the seasons independently. In McKinney ISD we teach Science and Social Studies using a project based model. The students research using teacher curated databases and lessons. I also agree that media is so present in our teaching culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan,

      I do love purple!

      I allowed my students to use construction paper, straws, popsicle sticks, and pretty much anything else that was in my craft box. I taught a mini-lesson or intro for the lesson whole-group, and then my students worked with a partner to work on activity that had to do with my mini-lesson. The project was an end of unit project.

      I would love to know more about project based models. Where do you get your project ideas from? I'm trying to do more projects!

      Delete

New Directions & Current Issues

I enjoyed this week's assignment. It allowed me to think about my classroom, and how I use technology. It game me time to reflect on wa...